Juniper Junos Intrusion Prevention System Functionality Training (JIPS) Course Hands-on
This two-day Juniper Junos Intrusion Prevention System Functionality Training (JIPS) course is designed to provide an introduction to the Intrusion Prevention System (IPS) feature set available on the Juniper Networks SRX Series Services Gateway. The Juniper Junos Intrusion Prevention System Functionality Training (JIPS) course covers concepts, ideas, and terminology relating to providing intrusion prevention using the SRX Series platform. Hands-on labs offer you the opportunity to configure various IPS features and to test and analyze those functions. This Juniper Junos Intrusion Prevention System Functionality Training (JIPS) course is based on the Junos operating system Release 10.4R1
● If you are familiar with some aspects of this Juniper Junos Intrusion Prevention System Functionality Training (JIPS) course, we can omit or shorten their discussion.
● We can adjust the emphasis placed on the various topics or build the course around the mix of technologies of interest to you (including technologies other than those included in this outline).
● If your background is nontechnical, we can exclude the more technical topics, include the topics that may be of special interest to you (e.g., as a manager or policy-maker), and present the course in manner understandable to lay audiences.
Audience / Target Group
• This Juniper Junos Intrusion Prevention System Functionality Training (JIPS) course benefits individuals responsible for configuring and monitoring the IPS aspects of SRX Series devices.
Duration: 2 days
After completing this Juniper Junos Intrusion Prevention System Functionality Training (JIPS) course, attendees will be able to:
• Describe general types of intrusions and network penetration steps.
• Describe how to access the SRX Series Services Gateways with IPS functionality for configuration and management.
• Configure the SRX Series Services Gateways for IPS functionality.
• Define and describe terminology which comprises Juniper Networks IPS functionality.
• Describe the steps that the IPS engine takes when inspecting packets.
• Describe the components of IPS rules and rulebases.
• Explain the types of signature-based attacks.
• Describe the uses of custom signatures and how to configure them.
• Explain how scanning can be used to gather information about target networks.
• Configure screens to block various scan types.
• Describe commonly used evasion techniques and how to block them.
• Describe denial of service (DoS) and distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks.
• Explain the mechanisms available on the SRX Series device to detect and block DoS and DDoS attacks.
• Configure screens to block DoS and DDoS attacks.
• Describe the reporting capabilities available for IPS functionality.
• Explain the terms and concepts related to intrusion prevention.
• Describe the basic functions and features available on the SRX Series platform that provide IPS functionality.
• Configure fundamental IPS features and functions on an SRX240 device.
Chapter 1: Course Introduction
Chapter 2: Overview of IPS Functionality
•Reasons for Network Attacks
•Categories of Attacks
•Anatomy of an Attack
•IPS Mechanisms on SRX Series Devices
•Lab 1: Initial Configuration
Chapter 3: Initial Device Configuration
•Deployment Options for IPS Functionality
•Preparing the SRX Series Device for IPS Features
•Lab 2: Initial IDP Setup
Chapter 4: IPS Terminology and Concepts
•IPS Rulebase Details
•Rule Match Conditions
•IPS Traffic Flow
•Lab 3: Examining and Modifying the Recommended Policy
•Lab 4: Exempt Rulebase
•Lab 5: Rule Actions
Chapter 5: IPS Attack Objects
•IPS Rules and Rulebases
•Lab 6: Custom Signatures
Chapter 6: Scanning and Reconnaissance
•Overview of Scanning
•Types of Scans
•IPS Scan Prevention
Chapter 7: Blocking Evasion Techniques and Denial of Service
•IP Source Routing Options
•DoS and DDoS Attacks
•Mechanisms for Blocking DoS and DDoS
•Lab 7: Detecting Evasion Attempts
•Lab 8: Denial of Service
Chapter 8: Reporting
•Junos Syslog and Operational Commands