Defending Mobile Applications Security Essentials Training Course Hands-on
Mobile application development is growing exponentially year over year. As of late 2015, over 3 million apps are deployed in the Apple and Google app stores. These apps are consumed by over 700 million users world-wide and account for 33% of the traffic on the Internet . Average users have over 100 mobile apps installed on their device, many of which provide business critical services to customers and employees.
Unfortunately, these apps are often rushed to market to gain a competitive advantage with little regard for security. As seen in web applications for the past 20 years, software vulnerabilities always exist where code is being written and mobile apps are no different. Mobile apps are vulnerable to a whole new class of vulnerabilities, as well as most traditional issues that have long plagued web and desktop applications. This problem will only continue to grow unless managers, architects, developers, and QA teams learn how to test and defend their mobile apps.
Defending Mobile Applications Security Essentials Training covers the most prevalent mobile app risks, including those from the OWASP Mobile Top 10. Students will participate in numerous hands-on exercises available in both the Android and iOS platforms. Each exercise is designed to reinforce the lessons learned throughout the course, ensuring that you understand how to properly defend your organization's mobile applications.
● We can adapt this course to your group’s background and work requirements at little to no added cost.
● If you are familiar with some aspects of this Defending Mobile Applications Security Essentials Training course, we can omit or shorten their discussion.
● We can adjust the emphasis placed on the various topics or build the course around the mix of technologies of interest to you (including technologies other than those included in this outline).
● If your background is nontechnical, we can exclude the more technical topics, include the topics that may be of special interest to you (e.g., as a manager or policy-maker), and present the course in manner understandable to lay audiences.
Audience / Target Group
• Mobile application developers
• Mobile app development managers
• Mobile app architects
• Quality assurance testers
• Penetration testers who are interested in mobile app defensive strategies
• Auditors who need to understand mobile app risks and defensive controls
• Application security managers
Duration: 2 days
This class requires a basic understanding of mobile application technology, server side APIs, and the HTTP protocol.
After completing this Defending Mobile Applications Security Essentials Training course, attendees will be able to:
• Use a web application proxy to test mobile app APIs for vulnerabilities
• Sniff mobile app traffic using Wireshark
• Test a mobile app for certificate pinning protections
• Identify sensitive information stored insecure on a mobile device
• Build strong mobile security policies to protect end users
• Understand industry cryptography best practices (NIST, PCI) for encryption, hashing, and random number generation on mobile platforms
• Inspect mobile app binaries and obtain sensitive information
• Secure Android IPC and iOS URL schemes
• Understand how an attacker can disassemble and analyze mobile app binary files
Defending Mobile Apps, Section 1
Weak Server Side APIs
Web service hardening
Improper Session Handling
Weak Session Tokens
Transport Layer Protection
Secure TLS Configuration
Insecure Device Data Storage
File System Inspection
Local Storage (plist, SQLite, SD cards, XML, etc.)
iOS Hardware Security
SQLite Encryption Extension (SEE)
Device Data Leakage
3rd Party Keyboards
Defending Mobile Apps, Section 2
Authentication & Authorization
Mobile Form Factor
Weak Cryptographic Algorithms
Secure Random Number Generation
Secure Secrets Management
Client Side Injection
Mobile User Session
Binary Code Injection
Format String Injection
iOS URL Schemes
Lack of Binary Protections