Advanced Smartphone Forensics Training Course Hands-on
Advanced Smartphone Forensics Training; A smartphone lands on your desk and you are tasked with determining if the user was at a specific location at a specific date and time. You rely on your forensic tools to dump and parse the data. The tools show location information tying the device to the place of interest.
Are you ready to prove the user was at that location? Do you know how to take this further to place the subject at the location of interest at that specific date and time? Tread carefully, because the user may not have done what the tools are showing!
Mobile devices are often a key factor in criminal cases, intrusions, IP theft, security threats, and more. Understanding how to leverage the data from the device in a correct manner can make or break your case and your future as an expert. Advanced Smartphone Forensics Training will teach you those skills.
This in-depth Advanced Smartphone Forensics Training course provides examiners and investigators with advanced skills to detect, decode, decrypt, and correctly interpret evidence recovered from mobile devices. The Advanced Smartphone Forensics Training course features 17 hands-on labs that allow students to analyze different datasets from smart devices and leverage the best forensic tools and custom scripts to learn how smartphone data hide and can be easily misinterpreted by forensic tools.
Each lab is designed to teach you a lesson that can be applied to other smartphones. You will gain experience with the different data formats on multiple platforms and learn how the data is stored and encoded on each type of smart device. The labs will open your eyes to what you are missing by relying 100% on your forensic tools.
Duration: 5 days
Advanced Smartphone Forensics Training - Customize It!
• We can adapt this Advanced Smartphone Forensics Training course to your group’s background and work requirements at little to no added cost.
• If you are familiar with some aspects of this Advanced Smartphone Forensics Training course, we can omit or shorten their discussion.
• We can adjust the emphasis placed on the various topics or build the Advanced Smartphone Forensics Training course around the mix of technologies of interest to you (including technologies other than those included in this outline).
• If your background is nontechnical, we can exclude the more technical topics, include the topics that may be of special interest to you (e.g., as a manager or policy-maker), and present the Advanced Smartphone Forensics Training course in manner understandable to lay audiences.
Advanced Smartphone Forensics Training - Audience / Target Group
Advanced Smartphone Forensics Training is designed to be valuable for students regardless of whether they are new to or experienced with smartphone and mobile device forensics. The course provides the core knowledge and hands-on skills that a digital forensic investigator needs to process smartphones and other mobile devices. The course is a must for:
• Experienced digital forensic examiners who want to extend their knowledge and experience to forensic analysis of mobile devices, especially smartphones
• Media exploitation analysts who need to master Tactical Exploitation or Document and Media Exploitation (DOMEX) operations on smartphones and mobile devices by learning how individuals used their smartphones, who they communicated with, and what files they accessed
• Information security professionals who respond to data breach incidents and intrusions
• Incident response teams tasked with identifying the role that smartphones played in a breach
• Law enforcement officers, federal agents, or detectives who want to master smartphone forensics and expand their investigative skills beyond traditional host-based digital forensics
• IT auditors who want to learn how smartphones can expose sensitive information
Advanced Smartphone Forensics Training - Prerequisites
Students should have familiarity with network penetration testing concepts, such as those taught in : Hacker Tools, Techniques, Exploits, and Incident Handling training or Network Penetration Testing and Ethical Hacking training before taking this Mobile Device Security and Ethical Hacking Training.
Advanced Smartphone Forensics Training - Objectives:
After completing this Advanced Smartphone Forensics Training course, attendees will be able to:
• Where key evidence is located on a smartphone
• How the data got onto the smartphone
• How to recover deleted mobile device data that most forensic tools miss
• How to decode evidence stored in third-party applications
• How to detect, decompile, and analyze mobile malware and spyware
• How to handle locked or encrypted devices, applications, and containers
Advanced Smartphone Forensics Training - Course Content:
Malware and Spyware on Smartphones
Determining if malware or spyware exist
Handling the isolation of the malware
Decompiling malware to conduct in-depth analysis
Determining what has been compromised
Forensic Analysis of Smartphones and Their Components
SD and SIM cards
Cloud-based backups and storage
Deep-Dive Forensic Examination of Smartphone File Systems and Data Structures
Recovering deleted information from smartphones
Examining SQLite databases in-depth
Finding traces of user activities on smartphones
Recovering data from third-party applications
Tracing user online activities on smartphones (e.g., messaging and social networking)
Examining event logs
Manual decoding to recover missing data and verify results
Understanding the user-based and smartphone-based artifacts
In-Depth Usage and Capabilities of the Best Smartphone Forensic Tools
Using your tools in ways you didn't know was possible
Leveraging custom scripts to parse deleted data
Conducting physical and logical keyword searches
Manually creating timeline generation and link analysis using information from smartphones
Plotting geolocation information from smartphones and smartphone components
Handling Locked and Encrypted Devices
Extracting evidence from locked smartphones
Bypassing encryption (kernel and application level)
Decrypting backups of smartphones
Decrypting third-party application files
Manually cracking lockdown files for smartphones
Examining encrypted data from SD cards
Incident Response Considerations on Smartphones
How your actions can alter the device
Determining whether a memory capture can be conducted on the smartphone
How to prevent remote access on the device